WSCC hosting Veterans Day Celebration featuring Concert Band, Jazz Band on November 9
Hanceville, AL — The Wallace State Concert Band and Jazz Band will perform their “Salute to United States Veterans” on Thursday, Nov. 9 in the Recital Hall of the Burrow Center for Fine and Performing Arts. The concert will begin at 7 p.m. Admission to the event is free and the public is encouraged to attend.
The concert will feature performances by the Wallace State Jazz Band and the Wallace State Concert Band. The Jazz Band is under the direction of Department Chair Ricky Burks. The Concert Band is under the direction of Dr. Justin Robinson.
One of the tunes for the concert includes the “Armed Forces Medley,” a collection of official marches representing each branch of the military. The goal of the event is to honor all of those that have served in the United States Armed Forces.
“Our annual Veterans Day concert is a special event. It is a time for us to come together, show our appreciation and pay respect to those that have served our country,” said Burks.
The Jazz Band and Concert Band are two of several ensembles in the Fine and Performing Arts program at Wallace State Community College. Instrumental ensembles also include the Pep Band, Brass Ensemble and Saxophone Quartet.
The Wallace State Jazz Band will perform under the direction of Ricky Burks during the Nov. 9 Salute to Veterans concert at7 p.m. in the Recital Hall of the Burrow Center for the Fine and Performing Arts. Admission is free and everyone is welcome to attend.
Vocal ensembles include the Concert Choir, Wallace State Singers and Vocal Jazz Ensemble.
Other offerings include Wallace State Dance’s Allegro Dance Theatre, Pride Line dance team and Wallace State Theatre.
Other upcoming events offered by the Wallace State Fine and Performing Arts program include:
- "The Tempest,” November 3-5, at the Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre, by the Wallace State Theatre program
- "The Nutcracker,” November 17-19, at the Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre, by Allegro Dance Theatre
- "Christmas Spectacular,” December 7 at 7 p.m., at the Betty Leeth Haynes Theatre, by the Wallace State Fine and Performing Arts program
- Broadway Night Cabaret, February 15 at 7 p.m., at the Burrow Center for the Fine and Performing Arts, by the by the Wallace State Fine and Performing Arts program
- Spring Dance Showcase, March 21 at 7 p.m., at the Betty Leeth Haynes theatre, by Allegro Dance Theatre
Registration for the Spring 2024 semester is underway. Classes begin Jan.8, 2024. For more information, visit www.wallacestate.edu, call the main campus at 256.352.8000 or come by Lion Central in the lobby of the James C. Bailey Center Monday-Wednesday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or Friday 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Kristen Holmes
- Vice President for Students and Chief Marketing Officer
submit a Marketing request